Going to the spa is a popular thing to do around the world. In the United States, it has been estimated that the industry was worth about $99 billion in 2015. Between 2015 and 2016, somewhere between 43.8 and 57.6 million people went for at least one massage. Whether you have just bought a bunch of massage equipment and are opening your door for the first time or have been in business for a long time, you can do a few simple things to get people in your door.
- Host an event. There are a few reasons for this. If you have recently updated your massage equipment or started using a new kind of spa products and supplies, you can use that to create an event that you can invite the press to. You do not have to have news to report but it is one way to do it. You can schedule an open house to let people in your community know who you are, what services you provide and what facial products and hair products you offer. No everyone knows who you are but the chances are good that there are people in your area who would like to get a massage or facial. Get to know your neighbors. It can only help your business.
- Invest in a good direct mail campaign. Many people think that snail mail advertising is dead but companies still use it because it still works. But a targeted list and get help to put together a professional looking mailer. Put a “call to action” kind of offer on your mailing. For instance, people are much more likely to take advantage of an offer that has an end date. Also, you will save yourself a lot of time, money and stress if you hire a full service company to print and mail your materials.
- Create a loyalty program for your customers. It costs a lot less to keep a client or customer happy than it is to bring a new person in your door. Offer systems to reward the people who keep coming back to your business for their massage or beauty treatment. You can give them points or a percentage off for every person they refer. Remember, that people love getting referrals from their friends, family and colleagues so reward people when they recommend you to the people they know.
- Have good offers. There is a reason that cable companies often offer bundled packages. They are cheaper for them and they have a bigger profit margin. The same can be said for the spa services you provide. You can offer discounts when people buy a set of massages (remember, you have the best massage equipment in town) or you can offer other kinds of packages. Give people a special price when they combine different services that they offer. A good example is offering people a special deal when they get a manicure and a pedicure at the same time.
- Set up your website to set appointments. More and more people use the web to do things like make dinner reservations and set beauty appointments. If you have not done this, you may be losing out on new chances to bring in customers.
- Have a good SEO strategy for your website. SEO stands for “search engine optimization.” You need to sprinkle the right keywords and phrases throughout your website, blog, press materials and any social media channels you use a lot. You also need to make sure your site looks great on mobile devices. Many people use their devices to look for services when they are out and about. The Google feature button, “near me,” lets people find what they need or want near to where they live. Having the right keywords can help with that.
- List your business with all of the search engines. Google has the lion’s share of the market in this area but it is worth listing your business with all of them. This is another way the “near me” feature works.
Having the right location and massage equipment is not enough to run a successful business. People need to know who you are, what you do and where to find you.