The beginning of the year meetings can be overwhelming. From directives about responsive Instruction to requirements for utilizing the district developed writing units for teaching, it is easy to get caught up in the mandates and constructions. When you factor in the need to follow the pacing and the guidelines to have students write daily during designated writing instruction you can wonder how you will ever fit it all in.
It is at one of these meetings, however, when you simply look down to your ankle at remind yourself of what you have promised will be your mantra going into your 15 year of teaching: Pace Yourself. always one to go full steam into any challenge of directive, you want to remind yourself that the students are the most important and that any and all of the new requirements, while important, cannot come before the students.
The latest educational research indicates that when students know what they are supposed to learn, they are three times more likely to actually learn it. When school districts are so overwhelmed just keeping staffed, however, even the person at the front of the classroom may not know what the educational goals of a given classroom may be. You, however, are in a different position. At a decade and a half, you are in a situation where you can continually see the light at the end of the tunnel. You have some tried and true methods that help you reach every student at their level, so realize that going into any one year you only have to tackle addressing the newest mandates. The artistic designs that you considered when you were searching for the tattoo that would be put on the inside of your left foot were many, but in the end you went for a simple script. Pace Yourself is the perfect mantra for this school year, and it obviously also applies to the number of responsibilities that you take on outside of the school as well.
What Is the Story Behind Your Most Recent Tattoo?
As more and more Americans make use of artistic designs in tattooing and piercings to reflect their personalities, it should come as no surprise that not all of these artistic designs are traditional. For instance, while there are still those names of girlfriends, wives, and children who spouses love to sport, there are also many other more subtle artistic designs that contain a message that is more lasting. Tattoo artists pride themselves in the work that they do, but they also pride themselves in responding to their customers’ wants and needs.
From It’s a Wonderful Life that harkens back to Christmas movie favorite to Just Keep Swimming that refers to a popular phrase from a more recent animated movie, there are many pop culture tattoos that are increasingly popular. Finding just the right tattoo, of course, is the goal when you invest your money and time, and sometimes your comfort, in a lasting design. Consider some fo these other facts and figures about the tattoo and piercing industry and the impact they have on the nation’s economy and the artistic expression of an entire generation:
- Although tattoos are typically considered permanent, nearly 5% of the U.S. population has covered up a tattoo with another one.
- In response to the popularity of tattoos today, there are approximately 21,000 tattoo parlors in the U.S.
- As many as 49% of those people with tattoos think that the reputation of tattoo artist or tattoo studio is the most important factor when choosing where to get their work done.
- Although the costs can range depending on the detail of the work and the experience of the artist, for a small tattoo, the average cost is around $45. Larger tattoos, however, can cost an average of $150 an hour.
- Around 33% of women who had bodily piercings reported they had their naval pierced.
- 37 million people suffer from migraines in the U.S., and studies show that these can sometimes be controlled by specific kinds of piercings. Some migraine studies estimate that 13% of adults in the U.S. population have migraines, and 2-3 million migraine sufferers are chronic.
If you are ready to add a tattoo or a piercing, prepare to Pace Yourself, there are a lot of choices and options!