They say, “The eyes are the window to the soul.” This might or might not be true. As women who care about our beauty, we think the quote is more appropriately stated, “The skin is the thing people see before they know your soul.”
Having great, youthful-looking skin is a huge confidence booster and helps you make a great first impression when you’re meeting people for the first time. Having a great anti aging skin care routine is a huge part of achieving the youthful, glowing skin you want. To help you achieve skin that makes bar tenders ask for your ID when you order an adult beverage, we’ve put together a list of important things to include in your anti aging skin care routine.
Three Important Rules for a Great Anti Aging Skin Care Routine
- Treat yourself to a great morning and night routine.
You’re a girl boss; you work hard every moment that you’re awake. We know you’re often rushed to get out the door in the morning, and too exhausted to go through a hundred anti aging treatments each night. However, taking the time to take care of your skin each morning and night is the most important way maintain great skin. You don’t have to make it so difficult that its hard to be faithful to. Simply invest in a few good skin care products and let them do the work for you:
- A gentle cleanser and anti aging exfoliant
- A toner
- A moisturizer and anti wrinkle cream
We’ll throw this in for free: Look for the term “non-comedogenic” on the label of your beauty products. This means that it is made of ingredients that won’t clog your pores; using products that stop your pores up causes infection under the epidermis and increases the signs of wrinkles. Following these steps each night and morning help slough away the dry, dead skin on the surface of skin and maintains the gleeful appearance of your skin.
- Consider what you put into your body, in addition to what your put on it.
You know the saying, “Garbage in, garbage out.” Your skin is made of the nutrients that you feed it. Developing a healthy diet will not only improve your appearance by helping you achieve a healthy weight, it will contribute to healthy, youthful skin. A few ways to develop a diet that supports healthy skin includes:
- Increase your water intake! As a rule of thumb, you should drink about half your weight in ounces per day. In other words, if you weigh 150 pounds, try to drink about 75 ounces of water each day. This gives your skin hydration and contributes to plump, soft skin that you had in your twenties.
- Eat lots of “healthy” fats. We’re talking avocado, coconut oil, and egg yolk. These healthy fats are rich with omega-3s, which is an integral part of improving your skin’s elasticity and smoothing out those wrinkles.
- Focus on food rich in vitamin D. Think about incorporating fresh vitamin-D happy foods like oranges, salmon, and fortified dairy products (milk, yogurt, and cheese, regardless of the fat content, fortified with vitamin D). Vitamin D is the building block of your skin cells, and critical for your body’s ability to generate new, youthful skin.
- Say “No!” to direct sunlight.
We say this with a caveat. Getting a healthy dose of natural sunlight is great for your health, uplifts your mental well-being, and naturally helps your body generate vitamin D, which we just talked about. However, direct, unfiltered sunlight has a terrible impact on your skin’s health. The radiation that comes from the sun degrades and ages your skin in hyper-speed. What we’re saying is, give yourself time out in the great outdoors, just consider making sure shade your faces is shaded; wear a wide-brimmed hat or sunscreen.
Also, help us help you. Do not intentionally expose yourself to the sun’s radiation for the sake of a tan. That tan might be nice for a short amount of time, but it’s really your body’s way of screaming “What are you doing to me?!” If you don’t like the skin color God gave you, use bronzers to get the same appearance without damaging the skin.
Do you have any other anti aging skin care tips? Please shout them out below!